AnimeSecrets.org

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please make sure to read the rules and have fun!

Author Topic: Sonic 4: Episode 2  (Read 628 times)

Ruen

• Agent
  • > Implying
    • View Profile
Sonic 4: Episode 2
« on: May 19, 2012, 07:23:07 AM »

Well I bought this the moment it appeared on PSN so I could have a decent play with it. A vast improvement over the predecessor in  nearly every aspect, there are some slight issues here and there (momentum regarding the spin dash is one) but they don't adversely effect the game too much in my opinion. All the levels are fun in one way or another and the difficulty curve increases are a decent pace as you go through. Bosses are surprisingly fun after the chore of the bosses in Episode 1, all are original (bar the ones that are meant to be homages to earlier fights) and keep you on your toes, the final boss is absolutely brilliant and something I've actually come to enjoy fighting, something I haven't been able to say about a final boss in a Sonic game since Sonic and Knuckles.

I will say one thing though, the guy who designed the special stages can go **** themselves. . . Seriously, this game, despite essentially being a love letter to longtime fans of the series, (who still complained, I don't know why they bother) this game is primarily going to be picked up by kids, and the special stages, especially the last two brought me to a frenzied rage. The only good thing is the game gives you the ability to restart special stages, not sure if it was intentional or an oversight but i sure as hell abused the hell out of it. I think I restarted the final special stage about 50-60 times, and in the end I completed it with 1 goddamn ring to spare. . . through 60 tries I memorised the pattern of this goddamn special stage so I could probably do it blindfolded and I still just passed it. Not that it matter though because apparently Super Sonic is broken and actually is less useful than Normal Sonic. . .

All in all, bar the rage inducing special stages I thoroughly enjoyed this game.

Jing

• Global Moderator
  • Agent
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Sonic 4: Episode 2
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 12:10:21 PM »

game looks like fun, and im strongly considering buying it when I get enough money
I'm the semi-honorable thief. I steal from the evil and give to the me

xXsonic96

• Agent in Training
  • im slow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 11:22:07 AM »

i have to beg mom to get it on psn
1996rellik
sonicmaster1996
deathoflovegames
neoslyfox
(youtube names)

Yuki

• Junior Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 12:07:13 PM »

Muhahahahahaha! If you ask me nicely I might get it for you :)  I played a little bit of ep. 1, but not like sonic did

Ruen

• Agent
  • > Implying
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 02:11:56 PM »

Sonic Episode 1 was pretty much universally reviled by much of the long term sonic fandom, since many people expected it to utilise a similar physics design as the 'supposed' predecessor Sonic 3/Sonic & Knuckles, when it inevitably failed to deliver that people were upset. However it should be pointed out that most of the hardcore fandom proceeded to nitpick over nearly every minute detail that annoyed them in one way or another. I thought the game was okay, but the boss fight in my opinion were uninspired bar the final boss which replaced this thought with frustration, but the levels themselves and Sonic too to a degree I really couldn't find too much to fault.

However none of this discounts the fact that because it was almost universally panned, the second episode basically scrapped everything and started completely fresh, including the use of an entirely new engine. . . While the two episodes do look vaguely similar let me inform you the differences between the two are immense. Also if you do get it get it on the platform you bought the first episode on, you get to play a little DLC-esque sub game involving Metal Sonic playing through stages of episode 1. It's not really anything to call home about but it's still a nice little touch.

xXsonic96

• Agent in Training
  • im slow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 01:40:45 PM »

Muhahahahahaha! If you ask me nicely I might get it for you :)  I played a little bit of ep. 1, but not like sonic did

PLEASE GET SONIC I BEG YOU.
1996rellik
sonicmaster1996
deathoflovegames
neoslyfox
(youtube names)