Home :: Help :: Search :: Calendar :: Login :: Register

+ AnimeSecrets.org  » Agent Lounge  » Technology Center 
|- Whats everyones thoughts on Google Glasses and the future of Computing Ubiquity? 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Whats everyones thoughts on Google Glasses and the future of Computing Ubiquity?  (Read 694 times)

• Dot Hacker
    • View Profile
So i'm sure many of you have seen the videos floating around the internet for Google's Glass project, which would depict a sort of miniscule VR world for the wearer rather than the many gadgets we have today. If you haven't seen it, you can view it here:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/253404/google_glasses_all_hype_or_reality.html

Obviously this project won't manage to become apparent into our world for a few years or so, but how interesting is the notion to some of you? Would it be a benefit, or a hindrance to the world we live in now? I'm not really looking so much as what you think of the project itself, but the idea of it as a whole.

/discuss

Whats everyones thoughts on Google Glasses and the future of Computing Ubiquity?

• Administrator
  • Initiated
    • View Profile
They announced this officially a few days after April Fool's day and originally I thought it was just a late April Fool's joke XD That being said I'm glad it wasn't I'm very interested in it. A real life HUD would be pretty cool and the concept of VR in any sense has always interested me so I'm hoping these live up to my expectations of awesomeness.

Re: Whats everyones thoughts on Google Glasses and the future of Computing Ubiquity?

• Initiated
  • ★Sweetie Heart★
    • View Profile
its called Project Glass, for starters. Personally, I think there should be a dividing line between technology and our world. Technology and our world being so integrated like that, people will lose what was so real and fresh about our world to begin with. Not to mention, the more technology we have that is like this, the more the government can not only watch what you do on your devices, but watch what occurs in YOUR LIFE. do you want that? do you want some government agent watching you making love with your girlfriend, or defacing a public toilet?

Think about it. You want your privacy more right now, with the government poking its nose in. Do you want it to be looking through your eyes as well? That's a little freaky. Not to mention, if the 3DS hurts peoples eyes, wouldn't this do the same as well? I dunno, some thoughts. Even now the line between Internet and life is blurred, what with it becoming quickly documented and stored on a site called Facebook. I just think we should never lose what is really real.

Don't worry, I'm always beside you, behind you, and supporting you. ❤
★REVIEWER★

Re: Whats everyones thoughts on Google Glasses and the future of Computing Ubiquity?

• Dot Hacker
    • View Profile
its called Project Glass, for starters. Personally, I think there should be a dividing line between technology and our world. Technology and our world being so integrated like that, people will lose what was so real and fresh about our world to begin with. Not to mention, the more technology we have that is like this, the more the government can not only watch what you do on your devices, but watch what occurs in YOUR LIFE. do you want that? do you want some government agent watching you making love with your girlfriend, or defacing a public toilet?

Think about it. You want your privacy more right now, with the government poking its nose in. Do you want it to be looking through your eyes as well? That's a little freaky. Not to mention, if the 3DS hurts peoples eyes, wouldn't this do the same as well? I dunno, some thoughts. Even now the line between Internet and life is blurred, what with it becoming quickly documented and stored on a site called Facebook. I just think we should never lose what is really real.

I would sympathize with you about privacy, except that I know how to protect myself from security issues so to me this hasn't ever been a problem. If you are that paranoid about your privacy on certain things you should research it and learn to protect yourself, and your information.

Things like TOR, proxy servers, ad hoc connections between devices and such things are there if you want. It's just the same as putting locks on your door of your house, or putting in a security system to your house. You go by your own will of privacy. I know what the government knows about me, and i also know what they don't know about me.

All that Project Glass does is add a HUD for your already Android device. It isn't somethign that reflects as a stand alone device. So if you already have your device protected and know the security functions around it, it's not a big deal. At least in my eyes.

• Initiated
  • ★Sweetie Heart★
    • View Profile
I was under the impression it was a stand alone device. Still, if Google has the right to watch what we search, then what also doesn't give them access to our private lives? Cell phone companies know what we text to each other and what we say to each other. It's in their records..does it mean they look at it? No, not until someone important requests it.

I understand basic security functions just fine.

Don't worry, I'm always beside you, behind you, and supporting you. ❤
★REVIEWER★

• Dot Hacker
    • View Profile
I was under the impression it was a stand alone device. Still, if Google has the right to watch what we search, then what also doesn't give them access to our private lives? Cell phone companies know what we text to each other and what we say to each other. It's in their records..does it mean they look at it? No, not until someone important requests it.

I understand basic security functions just fine.

Yeah it's an added device such as a bluetooth headset or such. So it will only offer functions that are compatible with most likely an Android phone... Who knows if it'll pop out for an iphone since they are competition.

• Initiated
  • Noblesse Oblige
    • View Profile
I think of VR as a gimmick on par with X-box Kinect, and I dont buy into it at all.

• Dot Hacker
    • View Profile
I think of VR as a gimmick on par with X-box Kinect, and I dont buy into it at all.

Gimmicky now, but i think someday there is a great use that can come of it if we can capture it for the right things. I think a lot of people are going for things that don't (or don't coordinate with VR / tech well) necessarily flow well with what we in the tech world call latency or the process of time between an action and time taken.

anything